From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-09 07:23:04

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 22:31:00 -0700, Robert Ramey wrote
> I'm trying to check in the serialization system and am having some problems.
> According to the sourceforge.net docs I need to "register" my host
> with my local ssh by logging in in the following manner.

Thing is, you don't need to actually ssh to sourceforge to use cvs, so I don't
think any of the steps you show below is needed. But just in case...

> $ ssh -l ramey cvs.sourceforge.net
> Could not create directory '/home/Robert Ramey/.ssh'.

This indicates that your cygwin shell thinks your user name is "Robert Ramey".
 If you want to eliminate the errors below, you will need to create a
directory in /home/Robert Ramey called .ssh. Further, you will need to move
your ssh identity files in the .ssh directory. You would normally have an
identity.pub and an identity file that serve as you public and private keys
respectively. Often it is useful to have a install a 'config' file which
helps ssh with some of the parameters like user name. In the config I have
something like this:

Host *.sf.net
   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity
   User ramey
   Protocol 1

This way you don't need the -l all the time.

> The authenticity of host 'cvs.sourceforge.net (66.35.250.207)' can't
> be established.
> DSA key fingerprint is 02:ab:7c:aa:49:ed:0b:a8:50:13:10:c2:3e:92:0f:42.
> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
> Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts (/home/Robert
> Ramey/.ssh/known_hosts).
> ramey_at_[hidden]'s password:
> Last login: Thu Jul 8 22:22:39 2004 from 226-146.adsl2.netlojix.net
>
> Welcome to cvs1.sourceforge.net
>
> This is a restricted Shell Account
> You cannot execute anything here.
>
> Connection to cvs.sourceforge.net closed.

I think you are tryning to ssh to the wrong place -- I get the same results at
that url. Try ssh shell.sf.net instead.

> Ssh seems to have difficulty creating/updated a file of known_hosts
> in my home directory. I'm using windows XP with cygwin shell. I've
> tried changing environmental variables $HOME, and others but nothing
> seems to make a difference. Does anyone have any suggestion. I
> realize that this isn't the best place to post this but I'm kind if
> desperate. Thank you for your patience.

I'm still not sure what any of this has to do with checking in because the
only ssh setup I needed to work with boost CVS was an environment variable:
  CVS_RSH = ssh

Then the trick is getting the CVSROOT and such set up correctly so you can do
a cvs checkout of the boost tree with your developer account instead of using
anonymous.

HTH,

Jeff