From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-10 11:16:59

I posted a note previous with modest reponse.

In the hope that a better link will provoke some more reaction, I am
reposting.

As promised recently, I am presenting a draft of proposals for math
functions which are needed for even most elementary statistics.

I have been encouraged to submit this to both the C and C++ Standard Library
groups at the same time. (They seem to speaking more than in the past).

These are additions to the list drawn up by Walter Brown accepted into TR-1.
The style and format follows his closely even though there were some
opposition to them from the C++ community. However I think we have to
accept that C and C++ compatibility are valued more than C++ 'ideality', and
not try to re-open this area of dissent.

The draft has been uploaded to the files area in a new folder Math Functions
as "More Mathematical Functions.pdf" 220 kb. It is accessible at:

http://tinyurl.com/357a6

be grateful if some CVS whizz would copy it to the sandbox as I know
that many are unable to access the files section.

It would be useful to have comments on

1 Typographical mistakes.
2 Mathematical mistakes (prepared by someone with seriously rusty math!).
3 The choice of functions espcially if there are any your feel strongly are
missing, or are not needed (say why).
4 The choice of names. Clarity is preferred to curtness.
5 The choice of names for derivatives like the inverse and complement. I
have added suffixes _inc and _c (or _com?).
 ( for C there will be suffixes f and l for the float and long double
versions).

Thanks.

Paul

Paul A Bristow