From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-12 13:52:17

Robert,

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> I presume you are using serialization draft # 18 upload last april. Since
> then helpful users have found a couple of bugs which I have subsequently
> fixed. There is a more recent version that I have tested with boost 1.31
at
> www.rrsd.com. It is labeled serialization #20.

I just downloaded #20. I'll give try it with my applications and let you
know if there are any issues.

> I am currently struggling - so far with only limited success - in getting
> the most recent version of the serialization library checked in to the
main
> boost CVS. This as been too slow to get it done but too fast to give up
on.

> Regarding your particular problem, I believe that this came up under the
the
> condition where a n object is saved through a pointer to its base class
and
> it was not registered or exported. This has been addressed in the current
> library by throwing an exception. Of course this helps characterize the
> problem - but it doesn't really fix the cause. This latter one has to do
> himself.

I really think the issue is with the weak_count in shared_ptr.hpp as
described in my response to Dirk. Hopefully he'll let us know if that solved
his problem.

> BTW, there have been a couple of other small bug fixes related to some
> collections (hmm - map was among them!)- this might or might not address
> your symptoms. Another bug in the serialization of shared_ptr was
uncovered
> which was causing a memory leak. I hope all this helps.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> As an aside - I notice that I'm getting about 300 downloads/month of the
> serialization package from my web site. I have no information about
> downloads from the Yahoo/Boost files area - (which I would be curious to
> know). I get very little feedback - I'm wondering if lots of downloaders
> take a look and decide it's too complex to actually use.

I've seen several postings in comp.lang.c++* and microsoft...vc.* over the
last few months. I'm also guilty of doing a little evangelizing there.
Robert, your being a little pessimistic. Could be that many are using it
without problem. :-) My initial uses even way back with #12(or there abouts)
were successful. Albeit, I only needed to exercise simpler facets such as
serialization of non-polymorphic classes and built-in data types. Certainly,
your approach is much more intuitive/flexible/... than MFC's.

Jeff Flinn
Applied Dynamics, International