From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-13 04:20:59

Robert Ramey writes:
> It seems I've succeeded in getting my serialization project checked in.

Excellent!

> (I've held back the Jamfile in the test directory pending a tiny tweak)
>
> And I have a couple of questions regarding testing.
>
> a) in order for libraries to be built for Borland and VC 6.0 which don't
> support Spirit 1.8 but do support spirit 1.6, the Jamfile checks for the
> environmental variable SPIRIT_ROOT and if found presumes it contains the
> root of the directory where Spirit 1.6 is located. This has worked well in
> my local environment. An environment which tests this library for these
> compilers will also need to have Spirit 1.6 installed and have the
> SPIRIT_ROOT variable set accordingly. I don't know who I should inform
> about this.

Theoretically, it would be possible to arrange (at least for us here at Meta),
but I'm afraid we don't have time for this. I'd suggest you to mark the
library as unusable on VC 6.0 with a comment explaining the situation in
detail.

> b) its unclear to me how to exclude certain platforms. I've been unable go
> get non-intrusive serialization with Commeau - much to my disappointement.
> This is pretty much a show-stopper for this compiler. (Other than this it
> seems to compile cleanly - though perhaps a tad picky with warnings). So I
> would like to know how to exclude Comeau from the tests.

Please see the existing '<mark-unusable>' sections in
"boost/status/explicit-failures-markup.xml" (http://tinyurl.com/2gbvr).

> c) As currently loaded, the test programs create temporary files in the
> systems temporary directory. And leaves them there - I occasionally delete
> them in masse. It only just dawned on me that this would be very
> inconvenient for the test setup so I'm going to tweak the tests to remove
> their trash at the end. So in some case some trash may be left over but
> shouldn't accumulate at a large rate as before. I hope this is acceptable.

Sounds fine.

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering