From: Christoph Ludwig (cludwig_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-14 10:21:54

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 04:36:36PM +0200, Guillaume Melquiond wrote:

> > > I've tested against the latest CVS on my own machine with satisfactory
> > > results. The compilers I've tested are:
> > >
> > > 1) MSVC 7.1
> > > 2) MSVC 6.0
> > > 3) Borland 5.51
> > > 4) Borland 5.60
> > > 5) gcc 3.3 under cygwin
> > > 6) gcc 3.4 on linux (draft #20) has been tested on linux with good results
> >
> > Wonderful!
>
> > > I haven't seen any test results from boost test servers for the
> > > serialization library - I expect to see some soon. If past experience is any
> > > guide - any platform NOT on the above list will have at least a few issues.
>
> I can't achieve these good results on Linux with GCC 3.4.0. Is draft #20
> the version currently in CVS? If so, only three tests are passing, the
> 206 other ones are failing because of a failure during the build of the
> static libraries:

gcc 3.4.1 fixed several bugs that broke the serialization library.

> /boost/boost/noncopyable.hpp: In copy constructor `boost::archive::class_name_type::class_name_type(const boost::archive::class_name_type&)':
> /boost/boost/noncopyable.hpp:27: error: `boost::noncopyable::noncopyable(const boost::noncopyable&)' is private
> /boost/libs/serialization/build/../src/basic_oarchive.cpp:333: error: within this context

It's easy to work around this particular problem in a way that should
not hurt on other platforms: make the temporary explicit (i.e.,
construct a local variable and then pass this variable).

I don't see a just as easy workaround for gcc 3.4.0 PR #16154 (broken
input iterator concept check), though, unless you accept to write your
own version of std::copy. After hacking around this issue I got many
discouraging compiler failures in the cwchar header...

But by then gcc 3.4.1 was released, Robert put serialization#20 on
his website, and this combination passed the serialization tests on my
machine. Thus I didn't pursue the problems with gcc 3.4.0 any
further.

Regards

Christoph

--