From: Klaus Nowikow (nowikow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-14 10:43:52

Doug Gregor wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2004, at 9:06 AM, Klaus Nowikow wrote:
> > This leads to the question: are different versions of the boost
> > libraries compatible with each other? Can I use a newer version of
> > boost
> > in future additions to our system and expect them to work
> together or
> > will
> > we have to rebuild the whole system when we decide to use a
> new version
> > of boost?
>
> We typically try to retain source-level compatibility between Boost
> versions, but make little or no effort to retain the binary
> compatibility that you would need. The basic problem is that merely
> breathing on a template metaprogram breaks binary compatibility, and
> nearly every Boost library requires some form of metaprogramming. You
> will probably have to standardize on a particular Boost version,
> compiler, and standard library :(

I thought so. I will have to discuss this with my co-workers, but I think
we will be able to deal with this -- by staying with one version for several
boost release cycles.

The real problem is that every new boost version brings interesting new
features, and it's terribly hard to keep my hands off them ;-)

--
Klaus