From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-14 13:49:20

From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> Mattias Flodin <flodin_at_[hidden]> writes:

I didn't read the description as indicating it was a book about
MPL but rather as being about MP that covers MPL. After all, MPL
was hardly mentioned.

> >> Several things, even!

> >> Do you think it matters all that much if it says so on the website,
> >> considering that most people who are already familiar with MPL
> >> will probably see this message?

It wasn't obvious to me that the content in
http://boost-consulting.com/mplbook/#the-work was not actually in
the book. That is, I took that content as being the preface, at
least in some form. I didn't make a distinction between the web
site and the book.

> > It mattered to me, but then again I have my answer now. ;-)
> > As for others, I can only say what I already said: perhaps.
> > In any case, I dont think the majority of MPL users also read the
> > boost developer list.
>
> Actually I should be clear: it's not so much a book about MPL as about
> template metaprogramming in general. I'd have thought the title of
> the book and the text of the page would make that clear. We do use

They do.

> MPL as a vehicle, so it gets fairly in-depth coverage. If the page is
> giving a different impression, we'd like suggestions about how to
> change that.

What isn't answered is the original question: for those already
familiar with MPL, how much value will the book provide? My
guess is that it provides the philosophical and conceptual
underpinnings that can remain fuzzy even with MPL familiarity
and, consequently, it provides a lot of value to those users.

I look forward to getting my hands on a copy.