From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-14 14:58:26

> We have a kind of policy against using scripting in our library doc
> pages, mostly because in the past scripts have caused major
> portability or usability problems. I personally love the menu on
the
> left of the serialization lib docs page, but if it uses scripts and
we
> can't really be assured that they'll work everywhere, it probably
> ought to be removed.

I think Robert's menu is very effective, and was hoping it represented
a de facto relaxation of the no-script policy.

I think script problems can be resolved by

(i) Having a (small) boost-wide library of javascipt components which
have been tested on a large number of browsers and which all library
authors would have to use. To begin with, it could just contain a tree
control like Robert's; maybe that would be enough.

(ii) Requiring all documentation to support a no-script option.

In a former life I did a lot of javascript programming. I'd volunteer
to write the first component and test it on a large number of broswers
on windows and linux.

Jonathan