From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-16 00:22:10

Jeff Garland wrote:

>> Houston, we have a problem.
>>

>> I had a few GB of disk space left a few days ago.
>> Now, I'm unable to run all the tests. I could
>> drop one of the gcc-3.4 versions. However, I'd
>> still be short by ~10GB after that.

It's a fact - running the bjam serialization test is going to consume 20 GB.
If the test machine doesn't have it the best is just to remove the
serialization test from the status jamfile for that machine. Actually I
think it would be unusual for a machine used for testing boost not to have
this much free space available. So I would hope it only affects martin's
tests.

>It would be nice if we could drop serialization on compilers that just
>aren't going to work.

Having looked at the test results on all the compilers the only ones that I
really wonder about are HP, and for now Comeau. All tests run with MSVC 6.0
and borland will fail without spirit 1.61 being installed. This is because
spirit 1.61 is needed to build the libraries. So if the library build fails
then all the tests are skipped. They are marked "fail" which is a little
misleading - "skipped" might be better.

>This is where we were hoping to be able to allow regression levels like
>'basic' and 'torture' that would provide standard ways of controlling the
>number of tests. But none of this is currently available.

All in all I think the testing program is working well and in reasonable
time. I need this to shake out issues with each platform. It just takes
the resources that it takes. So far I've only been through two test cycles
so it's premature to panic.

>As for what we should do now, it would be nice to have an answer to the
>question I posed this morning: is serialization going into 1.32 or are we
>cutting it out in the final release:

I want to keep working to finish regardless of which release it becomes a
part of.

>If we are cutting it out the we can just remove it from status bjam now....

But that would mean that progress would be stopped on getting this done.

Robert Ramey