From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-16 08:21:38

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:14:25 +0200, Martin Wille wrote
> Robert Ramey wrote:
> > I want to keep working to finish regardless of which release it becomes a
> > part of.

I understand, but....

> >>If we are cutting it out the we can just remove it from status bjam now....
> >

> > But that would mean that progress would be stopped on getting this done.
>
> Right. I do not ask to remove Boost.Serialization from the tests.
> That'd be the sadest thing we could do.

....I believe the release needs to take priority over serialization at this
point. It's purely a timing issue. Because of the diskspace problem, the
full Linux regression tests aren't available so other library authors are
unable to clean up the mainline. So while I would love to see Robert clean
things up and get serialization in the release it seems unlikely this is going
to be feasible unless someone comes up with a way to allow the Linux
regression tests to continue (maybe someone wants to fork up $150 bucks and
Fedex Martin a new disk drive ;-)

In the meantime, Robert can look at my single compiler Mandrake Linux
regression test and work off gcc3.3 serialization regression issues (as of
yesterday everything was failing with what appears to be a Jamfile issue --
can't find library stdc++). I'm going to kick off a new version in a few minutes.

Jeff