From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-17 18:51:57

Michael Glassford wrote:

> I'm using the VC++ 7.1 editor. Can you suggest an editor or tool on
> Windows that will detect and/or fix invalid line endings?

I use SciTE; http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTE.html

It has an option for showing the line endings as [CR][LF] symbols. And
you can set which line endings to use.

The way I fix the problem is to show the line endings, and to set line
endings to [CR][LF], load a file, do a global search+replace for
[CR][LF] to erase all empty double lines, tell SciTE to convert all
endings to my selected one. It's really only a load, replace, convert,
save sequence, after some practice it only takes about 2 seconds per
file :-) My other editor, the CodeWarrior IDE does the conversion
automatically. That is just load and it notices the problem and
converts, then save. But it doesn't get rid of the extra empty lines.

>> Beman has a program which runs checks for this kind of stuff when he
>> was running the regressions tests: tools/inspect. Perhaps we can have
>> someone run those tests again?
>
> I did try this, but haven't got it building yet. Judging from the report
> you made available, it doesn't tell where they are, anyway.

It tells you the file. Is that not enough?

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything