From: Doug Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-19 15:34:29

On Monday 19 July 2004 1:31 pm, Stephan T. Lavavej wrote:
> So, could someone summarize the status of the conversion to the Boost
> Software License? How far along will it be by the time 1.32.0 is released?

You can see the current status using Beman's "inspect" tool (in
boost/tools/inspect) with the "-license" option.

> Can a page be put up on the Boost website summarizing the license state of
> every library in Boost? Then I could point the big scary lawyers at it.

This is a really good idea. Adding another mode to "inspect" that outputs this
web page would be the best way to start...

> How actively are Boost developers being sought out to change their licenses
> over to the Boost Software License? From the attention I was paying to the
> list a few months ago, it seemed like the conversion wasn't being pursued
> very aggressively. I didn't care then, but I care now!

We haven't been very active in this, but probably should have been.
Interestingly, I've looked at some of the results of running "inspect
-license" and it seems that (1) we're not doing too badly and (2) we'd be
doing a whole lot better if more/blanket-permission.txt could be used to
automatically move licenses over.

> It seems to me that the conversion is especially important for the
> libraries that have been incorporated into TR1.

The good news is that those libraries have very active maintainers, so we
should be able to get any issues cleared up quickly. Looks like bind and
smart pointers need the new license.

        Doug