From: Miro Jurisic (macdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-19 23:18:23

In article <p0620021fbd221d0600d5@[192.168.16.235]>,
 Marshall Clow <marshall_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> >> That's too bad.
> >
> >Anyone for a Boost Road Trip? <g>
> >
> >> Also, I think in a rewrite it would make sense to ditch the MPTasks
> >> implementation and assume Mac OS applications will use the pthreads
> >> implementation. Unless someone wants to step forward and volunteer to
> >> help with that part.
> >
> >Is the author of the MPTasks implementation (Mac Murrett) unavailable?
>
> Mac is around.
> I will probably see him this week - I can ask him if that's what people want.

MPTasks are layered on top of pthreads, so it should be fine to replace an
MPTasks implementation of boost::threads with a pthreads one without hurting
anyone, except for clients of boost::threads that depend on the implementation
using MPTasks -- but I don't think that assumption is supported.

By the way, does the boost::threads API assume that preemptive scheduling, or
would it be possible to use boost::threads as an abstraction over cooperative
threads?

meeroh