From: Mac Murrett (mmurrett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-20 03:27:30

I'm signed up to the list again! Thanks to Bill and Marshall for the
friendly nudges.

On Jul 19, 2004, at 9:18 PM, Miro Jurisic wrote:

> MPTasks are layered on top of pthreads, so it should be fine to
> replace an
> MPTasks implementation of boost::threads with a pthreads one without
> hurting
> anyone, except for clients of boost::threads that depend on the
> implementation
> using MPTasks -- but I don't think that assumption is supported.

The MP task implementation is really only interesting for Carbon and
Mac OS 9-only targets; the pthreads implementation is more efficient
and probably safer under Mac OS X/Mach-O.

> By the way, does the boost::threads API assume that preemptive
> scheduling, or
> would it be possible to use boost::threads as an abstraction over
> cooperative
> threads?

It was always Bill's thought that the API was portable to cooperative
threads, but I do not believe that this was ever implemented or tested.
  Certainly many threaded solutions will not work without preemption,
regardless of the thread library they are built against.

M.