From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-20 06:40:14

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:19:33 -0500 (CDT), Aleksander Demko wrote
> I, like billions of other developers, have a medium sized project
> that for various reasons, invented its own thread, io, etc
> libraries. I'm thinkin of switching over to boost stuff for all my
> utility needs, but I'm wondering if boost has/possibly will have/is
> open to the possibility of adding/ or will never have the following
> facilities:
>
> serialization/object persistance (via iostreams)

In the 1.32 release.

> network socket iostreams

There has been work on this, but it seems stalled...

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?BoostSocket

> UUID stuff (sometimes know as GUIDs)

No one is working on this, but it would be nice to have.

> interface to dlls/.so loading

No one is working on this, also would be useful.

> url parsing (something like the filesystem lib)
No one is working on this, also would be useful.

> and, just out of curiosity:
> xml/html parsing

There have been various discussions of this, but I'm not aware of a coherent
effort.

All the libraries you mention would be valuable in boost in my view --
contributions appreciated. See http://www.boost.org/more/submission_process.htm
if you haven't already.

Jeff