From: SourceForge.net (noreply_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-21 09:28:24

Bugs item #995270, was opened at 2004-07-21 07:28
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=107586&aid=995270&group_id=7586

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
hi,

In my project I use boost::pool because I have to
instantiate millions of object at the beginning of the
application, and only get rid of the at termination time.

I noticed that when processing large data
(which may require 1Gb memory for the application while
it is running)
the application may finish its processing approx after 10
seconds.
the cleanup part (which consists only of calling the pool
release methods on allocated objects)
on the other hand, takes many minutes
(I usually give up after 5 minutes)

debugging the code i noticed that the while loop in
the nextof function
(of SIMPLE SEGREGATED STORAGE.HPP)

takes many iterations.
this leads me to the belief that the reason the cleanup
takes too long is because trying to cleanup 1GB memory
of million of objects at once causes
pool to retain all its chunks in the hope of more
allocations in the future
which in turns causes it to waste all computation on
running to the end of (endless) lists in the nextof
function

I will appreciate a suggestion on how to fix this
until a more permanent solution is applied to the pool
library

thanks
aviad
aviadr_at_[hidden]