From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-21 13:10:57

Jonathan Wakely wrote:

>> Any chance we might convince you to run the whole test suite on the
>> platform? I would be curious as to the results for the serialization
>> library here.

>Sure, but ..

>I'm not able to compile it yet - more patches will be coming shortly.
>The problems mostly stem from the fact that FreeBSD 4.x doesn't support
>std::wstring, std::wstreambuf etc.
>e.g.
>libs/serialization/src/basic_text_wiprimitive.cpp should test
>BOOST_NO_STD_WSTREAMBUF before using std::wistream

>The wchar.h header is present, but incomplete, so GCC on FreeBSD doesn't
>define the _GLIBCXX_USE_WCHAR_T macro, disabling all wchar_t support in
>the C++ library.

The serialization library is set up as two libraries. Serialization.lib and
wserialization.lib. If there isn't proper support for wide chars, the later
fails to build and the tests that depend upon fail to pass. This is what
happens when I test gcc on cygwin.

So the fact that there is no wide char support on a particular platform
should be no problem as far as the serialization library is concerned. Of
course in such environments wide char use has to be avoided.

Robert Ramey