From: Miro Jurisic (macdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-21 14:46:10

In article <40FE1975.3090809_at_[hidden]>,
 Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > Finally, URL line wrapping is a well-understood problem, with a recommended
> > practice (namely, enclosing URLs in text inside <>, as I did above)
> > codified in the current URL RFC. Every email and usenet client I am aware
> > of does the right thing with line-wrapped URLs in angle brackets.
>
> Obviously not true for your own client: MT-NewsWatcher/3.4 (PPC Mac OS X). Or
> perhaps it's my client, Mozilla Thunderbird, not reading it correctly. But
> certainly two common programs.

My client DTRT, but from reports throughout this thread, it sounds like Mozilla
is broken in this regard, which is very sad.

For those of you interested in getting this class of bugs fixed in your
newsreaders and mail clients, please file bugs referring to appendix of RFC
1738, which states:

"

[...] it is convenient to have a separate syntactic wrapper that delimits the
URL and separates it from the rest of the text, and in particular from
punctuation marks that might be mistaken for part of the URL. For this purpose,
is recommended that angle brackets ("<" and ">"), along with the prefix "URL:",
be used to delimit the boundaries of the URL. This wrapper does not form part
of the URL and should not be used in contexts in which delimiters are already
specified.

[...]

In some cases, extra whitespace (spaces, linebreaks, tabs, etc.) may need to be
added to break long URLs across lines. The whitespace should be ignored when
extracting the URL.

"

Given the feedback here, I am less adamantly against tinyurl, although I would
still prefer to avoid it (but that's easy for me, because my client works :-) )

meeroh