From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-21 20:30:23

Robert Ramey writes:
> Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:

Sorry for the late reply.

>>Robert Ramey writes:
>>> I don't see that this should be a problem. Just follow the
>>> instructions in the release notes:
>>>
>>> a) Download spirit 1.61 from SourceForge.net to a local directory. On my
>>> machine its c:/spirit161
>>>
>>> b) Define (export) environmental variable SPIRIT_ROOT=c:/spirit161.
>>>
>>> The build/test jamfile set up is sensitive to the SPIRIT_ROOT
>>> variable and will put it in the include path for those systems
>>> that are known to require it. Right not that is msvc 6.0 and all
>>> tested borland compilers. Other compilers just work with the
>>> latest version of spirit from the CVS Tree. This works on my
>>> system without any other special adjustments other than the above.
>>> So I'm asking that the testers set up their environment as above
>>> before running the tests. I don't think that's an unreasonable
>>> request.
>
>>It's not unreasonable. However, before we do that, we at least need
>>to figure out how to indicate in the reports that the MSVC 6.0
>>results are in fact produced by compiling against something else
>>than the main trunk. This kind of mark-up is not currently supported
>>and would require a bit of coding that I'm afraid we don't have
>>resources for at the moment.
>
> This is explained in the serialization documentation. I wouldn't
> think this is interesting for the notes markup. I don't see that
> the above issue has any relationship at all with the question of
> notes markup.

The intention is that the regression reports will accompany the
release so that users can readily see what are they chances with any
particular library. Without some kind of markup, it's going to be very
confusing for them to see the library work well in the reports and
miserably fail on their local, supposedly identical configuration.

Having said that, we did configure our environment to test your
library with Spirit 1.6. The results are available at
http://www.boost.org/regression-logs/developer/serialization.html

> Regarding markup.
>
> As far as I can tell, there is no simple way to specify a note that a
> applies to all tests for a given toolset.

Unless you want the note to say "unusable", no. That's what I was
saying -- it needs implementing.

> E.G. All serialization tests that depend upon wide character i/o
> under gcc/cygwin as wide char i/o isn't supported there. E.G. All
> tests which depend up export on borland compilers fail. E.G. All
> tests for msvc which use more than one archive class in the same
> code module fail. These issues are addressed in the library
> documentation. I don't see an easy way to fit them into the notes
> system.

IMO they need to be there, eventually. We'll see if we can implement
it before the release is out.

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering