From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-22 06:08:29

Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 04:29:23PM -0700, Robert Ramey wrote:
>

>>http://boost.sourceforge.net/regression-logs/cs-Linux.html shows errors in
>>build of the serialization libraries related to pthreads, etc....
>

> This is a known (*) issue with GCC 3.4, you must explicitly define
> BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS if you are not going to link with -pthread.

Right.

> http://lists.boost.org/MailArchives/boost/msg64550.php and many more
>
> THIS ISSUE IS GOING TO AFFECT USERS, IF BOOST DEVELOPERS STILL DON'T
> KNOW ABOUT IT THEN IT NEEDS TO BE MADE MORE OBVIOUS.

FWIW, I did know this when I modified the gcc-3.4.1 toolset a couple
of days ago. However, I forgot to remove the test results for
gcc-3.4.1 after that. Sorry for that. I'll remove them now, so in the
next run the 3.4.1 results should all be fresh.
Other test errors show that the gcc-3.4.1 toolset correctly adds the
required -pthread option. (e.g. http://tinyurl.com/66sny )

This problem should be obvious to everyone who installs gcc-3.4.1,
since you have to select how the standard library will be compiled.
Nevertheless, this should be explained in the Release Notes for
1.32.

> How about something on the front page of www.boost.org ?

I don't think this is an issue worthy to be mentioned on the front page.

> This doesn't only affect users of new versions of boost, anyone who
> switches to GCC 3.4, even with an old Boost release, will start getting
> these linker errors.

Right. However, this is not really a Boost problem. The problem is
being caused by the way you installed the standard library. Users
of other software will be affected, too. GCC 3.4 still is relatively
new, so knowledge about this problem still needs some time to spread.

Regards,