From: Jonathan Wakely (cow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-22 12:15:14

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 09:02:57AM -0700, Robert Ramey wrote:

> Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 04:29:23PM -0700, Robert Ramey wrote:
>
> >> http://boost.sourceforge.net/regression-logs/cs-Linux.html shows
> >> errors in build of the serialization libraries related to pthreads,
> >etc....
>
> >This is a known (*) issue with GCC 3.4, you must explicitly define
> >BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS if you are not going to link with -pthread.
>
> Hmm - isn't this something that could/should be automatically handled by the
> bjam - gcc toolset file? I'm not really sure what I should do here. Things
> worked before but I suspect that this was because I had static-linking
> specified as the default - but I removed this to address some other
> confusion and relied on the default set "somewhere else"

It *should* be handled by boost/config.hpp
But due to a change in GCC's headers the trick used to determine whether
the user was compiling an MT app no longer works.

AFAIK bjam.gcc could be made to explicitly define BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS
for ST builds. My concern is for users (one in particular - me!) not the
regression tests, so I hadn't thought of that.

> I'm not at all sure what I should do here. I think it is also affecting
> builds with Itel 7.1 on linux.

Yes, I saw that in the logs and wondered if it was the same issue.
I don't have that compiler to test it with, so didn't look any further.
Does that compiler share any headers/libraries with GCC ?

jon

--
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure."
	- Aldous Huxley