From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-26 15:51:39

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:17:51 -0700 (PDT), Tom Brinkman wrote
> Mini-reviews would be very useful. I’m shur that each
> boost developer/user could contribute a few small,
> useful algorithms. It would be a great way to
> increase the level of participation by developers who
> want to contribute but don’t have the time to write a
> complete library.

Sounds like a cool idea to me :-)

> To get things started, as Review Manager, I could
> start by collecting submissions by other boost members
> and present them to the group monthly or bi-monthly.
> We could call this the Monthly Boost Algorithms
> review. (I have at-least ten algorithms that I could
> contribute for consideration for the first few
> reviews.)
>
> We should also discuss to where to place the
> algorithms /code within the boost namespace.
>
> I could create a document that lists all the
> algorithms under consideration with a small summary.
> The boost members could than accept/reject each
> algorithm and offer suggestions.

We've been informally gathering them on the Wiki for a couple years now :-)

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?STLAlgorithmExtensions

There's a lot of good ideas there and short of string and container algorithms
most of them have yet to find a home in Boost. And really, I'm certain there
are many more out there.

> More to follow in the next few day…
> Any thoughts?

I think this would be a useful endeavor. Now that we have BoostBook I think
the process of adding one of these could be streamlined down to writing a
header with the algorithm and an xml file with the description.

Now for the one worry, we still have a backlog of completed libraries to
review -- we owe it to the authors of these works to get to them as fast as we
can.

Jeff