From: Stefan Slapeta (stefan_nospam__at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-29 09:31:32

Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:

> I believe partly it is so because it's hard to see the progress behind
> the new libraries and compilers that nobody cares about that are
> populating the field with yellow cells. It's generally discouraging to
> work on something and don't see a visible improvement over a
> relatively short period of time.

My impression was that there has been a good progress during the last
days. Some compilers already look very good which is a very different
situation from a week ago. (e.g. Intel 8 is nearing 100%; all the
remaining defects are reported as compiler defect!)

> Another contributing factors are long turnaround times (basically 24
> hours), and the fact that many patches that could be committed
> instantly are submitted to the list and have to be applied by somebody
> with CVS access, consuming precious time of both sides (the patch
> submitter and the developer).

I can just second that, it's sometimes very annoying when you don't find
anybody for committing a fix! And of course it's waste of time.

> Note that the problem with long regression cycles is *not* that it
> takes too long to run the tests -- Boost-wide reports effectively
> solve this problem by enabling the testing to be highly distributed
> without loosing a bit of the results' informativeness. Our average
> regression cycle is 24 hours because many the regression runners
> cannot afford running the test continuosly rather than once daily.
>
> [...]

My tests (Intel 8 and cw 9) run now twice a day. Although I thought this
is a reasonable interval, it wouldn't be any problem for me to activate
more machines and run tests more frequently. I could also add the
toolsets VC 7.1 (and perhaps VC 8).

> As for the patches, I beleive everybody will win if we grant a few
> people who have been actively contributing the fixes write access --
> for those who wants it, of course.

If my help is needed, I want :)

Stefan