From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-12 22:30:01

David Abrahams wrote:

>"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> If any Jamfile guru wants to explain a convenient way to require certain
>> tests to be performed in a certain order I would be very grateful.

>You could make one dependent on another. But why do you need to do
>that?

A few demos/tests are really a pair - one to save and one to load. In some
cases this was to illustrate the fact that the system worked even though
saveing and loading were not done in the same program which apparently
wasn't altogether clear otherwise.

In other cases, the tests are separate executables because, its possible
that the version of class has changed but the version it was save under is
the previous one so it's a lot more clear to check this case with a pair of
tests. That is, class serialization traits can be changed but if we load an
older archive, the traits have to be the ones that the archive used when
saved. There's an opportunity for confusing the current serialization
traits with the "historical ones" hence the separate executables.

In the future this will probably be even more necessary as there really is a
need to test for archive portability. This means having/creating canonical
archives to test against before testing load. I don't remember all the
scenarios but in testing persistence, it can be convenient to specify
sequence.

On the other hand, I'm pretty reluctant to make my Jamfile for
serialization/test any more elaborate than it already is since I don't realy
feel I understand the jam system all that well.

Robert Ramey