From: Carlo Wood (carlo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-18 12:29:39

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 12:56:57PM -0400, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
> How does it handle both path formats simultaneously? Does / mean the
> Cygwin root, while \ means the current drive/volume root? In order to
> support that, there would probably need to be separate special path
> handling for Cygwin, so that / and \ can be treated separately. Then
> there is still the problem of representation in the boost.filesystem
> "portable" format.

No, no, no. As I explained in my previous post, what he meant (I assume)
is that it should handle both types of canonical paths. That is, it should
understand "/usr" AND "c:/cygwin/usr". As I pointed out, this is possible
because "/usr" is not complete (but does have a root directory), while the
other is. This is not ambigious.

Thus, on cygwin, boost::filesystem should treat "/usr" as "c:/cygwin/usr"
when compiled with BOOST_WINDOWS (and treat "c:/cygwin/usr" as itself).
When it would be compiled with BOOST_POSIX then "c:/cygwin/usr" would
be an illegal path name and "/usr" would be handled internally as "/usr"
(by calling the POSIX system calls of cygwin).

--
Carlo Wood <carlo_at_[hidden]>