From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard (jbms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-18 11:56:57

David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms_at_[hidden]> writes:
>> I brought this up a while ago. I believe Beman stated as a rationale
>> for this behavior that he and other boost developers and users like to
>> use Windows native paths in Cygwin, using Cygwin as an environment for
>> Windows software development.

> I think that's a bad rationale. In point of fact most cygwin tools
> can handle either path format, but the native representation is
> indeed a POSIX one.

How does it handle both path formats simultaneously? Does / mean the
Cygwin root, while \ means the current drive/volume root? In order to
support that, there would probably need to be separate special path
handling for Cygwin, so that / and \ can be treated separately. Then
there is still the problem of representation in the boost.filesystem
"portable" format.

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard