From: Aaron W. LaFramboise (aaronrabiddog51_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-18 13:13:51

David Abrahams wrote:
> Yeah. But IMO on cygwin boost::filesystem should handle both formats.

I don't think attempting this is a good idea. If boost::filesystem on
Cygwin is documented as "accepts both Cygwin and Win32 path," I can
construct a filesystem where at least one valid Win32 or Cygwin path
will not be correctly accepted, and thus make a liar of the documentation.

In particular the meaning of /dir is different between Cygwin and Win32.
 It is valid in both.

However, I do not think it is necessary to accept Win32 paths in Cygwin
mode, as that Cygwin file primatives are able to deal with "c:\\dir"
correctly to begin with. In other words, Cygwin has intrinsic support
for both types itself, without any special support from Boost.

Aaron W. LaFramboise