From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-21 17:33:10

Carlo Wood <carlo_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 07:39:43AM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
>> When proposing design changes, first you have to describe the
>> problems your changes are designed to solve, or nobody will
>> understand the motivation.
>
> If you are not aware of the problems with boost::filesystem

I am aware of some problems I had, but I'm not sure those are the
same ones you're trying to solve.

> then I just give up immdeately, instead of wasting my time
> by trying to convince you about the need for a redesign.

Easy, big fella! I'm long since convinced that something should be
changed, but until I know what you're trying to address with your
changes I'll have a hard time deciding whether the problems are
important and whether your proposal effectively addresses them.

> I've seen several people already agreeing that there is a design
> problem with the current boost::filesystem.

I'm among them. However, I have a hard time articulating what I found
difficult about the library, other than that the path portability
checks seemed to get in my way. If there's something deeper going on,
I'd like to hear your opinion of what it is.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting