From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-21 18:44:03

> Doesn't Walter update DMC++ quite often?

Yes, but there are lots of bugs on his list ;-)

> Would it be better to just
> report bugs to him and wait for the fixes?

Walter seems to be very conscientious about bug reports, but I don't
think you can assume that if you report a bug it will be fixed in a
matter of weeks.

> I have no major objection
> to the patches; I'm just slightly concerned about crufting up the
> codebase to add support for a previously unsupported compiler if it
> will happen without changes in a few weeks anyway.

I'd like to see boost support DMC soon. IMO, the best way to motivate
Walter to fix the bugs which most affect boost is to run and publish
the regression tests for DMC. (I have a feeling I'm about to be asked
to volunteer :-) ) I tend to think he'll be more motivated if DMC
passes, say, 42% of the tests than if it passes 0-5%. In the latter
case, judging by his reaction when preprocessor problems were reported
to him earlier this year, I think he might conclude that the problems
must be with boost. (After all, DMC can't be *that* bad.)

So I'd like to see patches committed if they give substantial parts of
boost some hope of compiling with DMC.

But this is idle speculation.

Jonathan