Boost logo

Boost :

From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-25 20:08:46

> I don't want to sound harsh or anything, and I truly
> appreciate the effort that's being put in this, but
> a month has slipped by since the first schedule for
> releasing, and AFAIK we don't even have an agreed upon
> branching date for the near future.

The branching date is pending MPL check-in. The latter has
been postponed several times as the new issues surfaced (in
particular, due to better tests), but it's crucial to ensure
that the library is in the predictable state before the
release (remember that it goes on the CD with the TMP book),
so please bear with us.

> People are beginning
> to divert (a review in progress, etc.) I haven't been
> involved in previous releases, but I guess a month
> delay is well over what's considered normal/acceptable.

There are external constraints for this release's timeframe,
but within those, the release is criteria-driven. One of the
criteria is regression-free codebase, and another is the new
MPL version. There is no point of releasing "on time" if the
release is useless.

> Shouldn't we settle now on a realistic branching date
> and proceed with the release? Or, should I shut my mouth
> and let the release manager handle this as he deems
> convenient?
> Again, don't get me wrong. I am not willing to push
> anybody, but the process looks, well, erratic.

Please don't forget that we are all volunteers here. The best
way to speed up things is to contribute to them. MPL issues
notwithstanding, we still have the regression field to be
cleared --
Turning it green while MPL is in works will make a huge
difference. If you are willing to take over managing that one
until the MPL check-in, be my guest.

Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering

Boost list run by bdawes at, gregod at, cpdaniel at, john at