From: Howard Hinnant (hinnant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-27 12:50:47

On Aug 27, 2004, at 11:49 AM, Bronek Kozicki wrote:

> Howard Hinnant wrote:
>>> So that sizeof(move_ptr<T>) can be the same as sizeof(T*).
>> Yes, yes! Absolutely zero-overhead over a raw pointer is (imho) a
>> critical design criteria of this type of smart pointer. And the
>> reason for the ::type dance instead of something more direct like:
>> template<class T, class D = detail::default_delete<T> >
>
> OK, I guess that detail::default_delete<T> is going to be stored as
> static field of move_ptr class. However ...
>

>> 2. And the deleter itself should be able to be a reference type.
>> I can't stress this second point enough. It is a real feature when
>> you want to allow for the possibility of a deleter that is both
>> state-full and heavy. In templated code that already owns a deleter
>> (that you don't know anything about, except its name), and you're
>> using the move_ptr just to enforce ownership temporarily (say for
>> exception safety purposes), then passing a reference-typed deleter to
>> the move_ptr is an extremely elegant solution:
>> Code templated on P (p : pointer type) and D (d_ : deleter type):
>> move_ptr<P, D&> hold(p, d_); // grab hold of p, using a D&, as
>> opposed to a D
>
> ... how are you going to store reference to deleter object here,
> without any memory overhead in your pointer object?

Oh, sorry for not being clear about this.

move_ptr<T, D> holds a single data member of type compressed_pair<T*,
D>. compressed pair takes care of optimizing away the space for D if D
is an empty class. If D turns out to be a non-empty class, or a
function pointer, then space is not optimized away (compressed_pair is
magic ;-) ). If D turns out to be a reference, the space is not
optimized away, and compressed_pair deals with the reference to
reference problem.

-Howard