From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-28 12:46:48

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:24:42 -0700, Robert Ramey wrote
> Overlap
> =======
> I've also taken a forward look at Jon Turkanis coming offering. I
> see significant overlap. Jonathon's library is more ambitious in
> that it in that it addresses composition of stream buffer adaptors.
> I suspect it would include the above as subset.
>
> So - I'm going to recommend that the review manager for this library
> reserve judgment pending the upcoming review of the Jonathon's
> library. Ideally the two managers involved would coordinate their
> reviews so that functionality doesn't get duplicated.

I've looked at both libraries and I share this opinion. While Daryle's
manipulator code is basically independent, there is major overlap in some of
the stream buffer areas. I think some of Daryle's current code should be
rewritten using Jonathon's. Also, at the moment these libraries share
directories and namespaces -- so we are going to have to do something if both
are accepted. Finally, there is documentation to merge -- or not. So I'll
talk to Tom about this....

Jeff