From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-30 13:21:51

> De: Jonathan Turkanis <technews_at_[hidden]>

> > > It is often recomended not to distinguish names only
> > > on plural suffix. Easy to overlook bug here.
> >
> > I know that's a consideration. But then there's tuple and tuples...
>

> Boost.Tuple's authors would have used "tuple" alone everywhere
> but they found difficulties, as explained at:
>
> http://boost.org/libs/tuple/doc/design_decisions_rationale.html

This explains why a separate namespace was necessary and why it couldn't be
called 'tuple'. All it says about the choice of the name 'tuples' is that
namespace names are not generally in plural form in boost libraries.

I think newline/newlines and skip_line/skip_lines are straigforward descriptions
of what these functions do. So the only real question -- which is an important
one -- is whether error messages are intelligible when a user leaves out an 's'
or accidentally adds an 's'.

Maybe I'll have time later to do some tests, but my guess is that the error
messages will refer directly to the offending code and make it pretty clear
what's gone wrong.

Jonathan