From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-01 00:32:40

"Carlo Wood" <carlo_at_[hidden]> wrote in message:

> I think it would be great if your library would at least be
> able to add this type of support later on. It might mean
> however that some crucial change in the design is needed
> now already in order not to break code that would be using
> your current API. I have no overview of that; you are in
> a much better position to judge that ;).

I'll try to address this in more detail after I've had more time to think about
it. However, I'm fairly optimistic that message- or bucket- based filtering can
be added later, without breaking user code. The reason is that user-defined
filters and resources interact with resources generically, using
boost::io::read, boost::io::write, etc. They know nothing about the underlying
implementaion in terms of linked lists of stream buffers. Therefore the whole
framework can be rewritten without requiring changes to existing user-defined
filters and resources. (Re-compilation will be necessary, of coure.)

The existing components won't be able to take advantageof the extra efficiency
provided by the new implementation, but in most cases this may not matter much.

Best Regards,
Jonathan