From: Carlo Wood (carlo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-31 18:32:09

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 04:32:39PM -0600, Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
> of these links about the Apache filtering API and let me know if its similar to
> what you're talking about?
>
> 1. Filtering I/O in Apache 2.0, by Ryan Bloom, http://tinyurl.com/6p5r5
> 2. Other stuff on Apache filtering by Ryan Bloom, http://tinyurl.com/646os
> 3. Slide show about Apache Filtering, http://tinyurl.com/5a6b4

Very interesting articles.

This design is much broader than my proposal, but that doesn't
hurt imho. What is similar is that they are also using chunks
of data (messages) and allow filters to change that in place,
if the bucket type allows it.

I think it would be great if your library would at least be
able to add this type of support later on. It might mean
however that some crucial change in the design is needed
now already in order not to break code that would be using
your current API. I have no overview of that; you are in
a much better position to judge that ;).

Clearly, their bucket and filters approach is very
concerned with efficiency; as they state it "it is not a
problem when a filter chooses not to be efficient, but
the framework should not make it impossible to be
as efficient as possible".

While I only glanced at the text - it seems that in our
case we'd need a IOSTREAM_STREAMBUF_BUCKET type ;).
My proposal than only included that type and their
HEAP_BUCKET type. So, still - a change to your streambuf
seems to be needed in order to builtin support for this
type of 'bucket handling' filters (in the future?).

--
Carlo Wood <carlo_at_[hidden]>