From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-01 10:24:53

Richard Hadsell <hadsell_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Richard Hadsell wrote:
>
>> I am trying to build the Boost 1.31.0 libraries on an AMD Opteron
>> platform using PathScale C++ 1.2. There is no toolset for this
>> compiler, which looks something like a MipsPro compiler and
>> something like a g++ compiler. Has anyone created a toolset for it?
>> If not, how do I build a new toolset, or is there an easier way to
>> build and install the libraries?
>
> No help for me? How do you Boost experts develop a toolset for a new
> compiler?

Use tools/build/v1/gcc-tools.jam as a working example and
tools/build/v1/gcc-tools.html to understand it.

Don't write lines like:

flags gcc GCC_BIN_DIRECTORY : $(GCC_BIN_DIRECTORY) ;
flags gcc GCC_INCLUDE_DIRECTORY : $(GCC_INCLUDE_DIRECTORY) ;
flags gcc GCC_STDLIB_DIRECTORY : $(GCC_STDLIB_DIRECTORY) ;

These are a mistake (they prevent customization of multiple versions
of the toolset), but they keep creeping back into toolset files for
some reason, even though I keep taking them out.

See
http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v1/build_system.htm#toolset_description
for other help.

We know the docs are not great, but we're going to retire this
version of the build system ASAP so a big investment in docs is
unwarranted.

HTH,

--
Dave Abrahams