From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-06 14:11:52

Goran Mitrovic wrote:

> OK, tnx, but please pay attention to the Greta. Author claims to be few times
> faster (due to the virtual fcalls eliminations concept) than Boost's regex.

Yep, I wrote GRETA. GRETA /was/ faster than Boost.Regex pre-1.31. Since
then, Boost.Regex has been rewritten to be much more efficient.
Boost.Regex and GRETA are now pretty close in performance.

I wrote GRETA while at Microsoft, and the code is owned by them. I
started writing xpressive when I left Microsoft. It is a ground-up
reimplementation, not a rename of GRETA. GRETA is no longer being
actively maintained.

xpressive takes the virt-call-elimination trick to the extreme, using
expression templates to eliminate *all* virtuals.

--
Eric Niebler
Boost Consulting