From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-10 12:58:45

"George M. Garner Jr." <gmgarner_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Johnathan,
>
> > The problem is really that I haven't finished writing the components that
> > make
> > this easy. <
>
> Do you have an ETA on these components?

If the library is accepted, they'll definitely be in the first release. The
problem is that I thought of them rather late.

Originally a converter had its own internal narrow character chain. So usage was

      converter cvt(mylocale)
      cvt.push(cout);
      wfiltering_ostream out(cvt);
      out << L"Hello Wide World!\n";

Discussion on comp.std.c++ about the Dinkumware template wbuffer from the CoreX
library convinced me that converter should be a lightweight resource adapter.
Finally, it occurred to me that this adapter could be insterted automatically in
a wide-character chain as soon as a narrow character component is added. I
quickly wrote converting_stream and converting_streambuf, but ran out of time to
test them. (I'm sure the current versions don't work yet.)

> Regards,
>
> George.

Jonathan