From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-15 13:18:34

I was under this impression from the MS docs, but a recent reply to my query
by Brandon Bray at MS cites a 40901 release (perhaps an internal beta 2?),
whereas I have says 8.0.40607.16 but I am not sure if the compiler release
has changed.
(cl.exe file is 8.00.40607.16 too)

Paul

PS The query was about an item which failed to compile using 8.0 (OK with
7.1)

template<typename T, typename BigT>
out_sqr(ostream& os, T x, BigT temp)
{
  temp = x * x;
  os << temp;
}

Bray says that this is because the implicit function return type is int,

I assumed that the implicit function return type was void,

and indeed if void is added, it works as expected.

Can anyone who has digested the Standard quote chapter and verse on this?

Paul A Bristow
+44 1539 561830 +44 7714 330204
mailto: pbristow_at_[hidden]