From: Tommy (tommyboost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-16 06:23:35

Jeff Garland <jeff <at> crystalclearsoftware.com> writes:
> So, for example, when I recieve an inbound message I'm going to unserialize
> whatever it is into a native structure. So I have to allocate (or take from a
> pool) and go field by field thru the data anyway realizing it into the native
> structure. Then I process the data. I'll never make any copies in the
> processing core b/c I'm going to pass around shared_ptr's or something.
>
> Going outbound I've built up a complex structure that needs to be serialized
> into a buffer that gets sent after I'm done. I'm passing this all around
> using smart pointers until I get to the socket stream and it's ready to go
> outbound.

I think it would be very nice if we could have a higly efficient solution to
the general and recurring problem of the construction of an object from a data
stream together with the deconstruction of an object into a data stream.

Patterns touching on this topic have been written by, among others, Steve
Berzuk at www.berczuk.com and Dirk Riehle (http://www.riehle.org/computer-
science/research/1996/plop-1996-serializer.pdf)

Tommy