From: Alexander Terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-21 10:37:03

Matt Hurd wrote:
[...]
> By the way, when you say ia32 which architectures are you referring
> to, as they have varied quite a bit on their capabilities from 386 to
> P4 & Xeon?

I'm referring to "All IA-32". See Intel Itanium Architecture Software
Developer's Manual, 6.3.4 Memory Ordering Interactions (apart from
hoist-and-sink "pirate talk", so to say.).

> Do you have a view on the original question about how to structure
> code regarding architecture specific specializations?

First off, atomocity without memory ordering and visibility protocol
is pretty useless. atomic<> with msync is the way to go. But of
course you can use its load(msync::none_t) and even store(T, msync::
none_t) where/when it's appropriate and totally safe. I mean for
example... apropos std::string ;-)

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E4B6227.87DCBA45%40web.de
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3F741BDC.60E4D173%40web.de

regards,