From: Maxim Yegorushkin (e-maxim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-26 12:45:45

Igor Kholodov <C.JUMP_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Igor Kholodov <C.JUMP_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> I am testing immutable string outside boost, using
> it
>>> as string type with common text transformation
> library
>>> (http://cttl.sourceforge.net/). It works quite well,
>>> about 18% speed is gained while parsing large XML
>>> documents (>1MB) when using const_string.
>>
>> Could you please specify the compiler and STL
> implementation you use?
>>

> Tested with GCC 3.4.1 (mingw) and GCC 3.2.3 on linux.

Then, I think, the results are very good because GNU ISO
C++ implementation of std::basic_string<> uses representation sharing with
reference counting, which is the same thing that const_string<> does. The
only difference between the std::basic_string<> and const_string<> is that
the latter one uses small string optimization, and, I think, this is what
makes it look better.

--
Maxim Yegorushkin