From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-29 10:26:58

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:25:26 +0400, Vladimir Prus wrote
> > Granted, they've dropped support for older, broken compilers,
> > so someone will still be getting hurt by this.
>
> Right. OTOH, I start to wonder if BGL should drop support for old compilers
> as well. (borland and vc6 are marked unusable already). There seem
> to be a lot of workaround inside BGL which means even reading the
> code hard.

More and more I've come to believe that the time has come to start ignoring
these old compilers boost-wide. I've taken the approach of ignoring them for
any new features I add -- as long as things that worked in the last release
continue to work. Even that, in my experience, becomes a pain rather quickly
-- I'm guessing at least 1/3 of our time has gone into backward compatibility
while addind wide char i/o support and such...

Jeff