From: Joel (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-30 20:15:05

David Abrahams wrote:

> Joel <joel_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>>Y'know, I like blue too, but it shouldn't be used for non-links.
>>>Section headings should be black, just like the rest of the non-linked
>>>text. Black on white reads much more easily (yes, according to
>>>research) and that applies to headers as well as body text.
>>
>>I do not know what the study is but I find black very boring.
>

> Red or orange would *really* be exciting. In this case, boring is
> good. Black on white has the highest contrast and thus is most
> legible.

Indeed they would. However, we do not want to elicit excitement.
We only want to draw out mild pleasure which black does not give.

Colors have a psychological effect and we do not want the effects
of red or orange in this case, but they *DO* stand out above dull
black. IMO, blue is a good balance.

"Blue relaxes our nervous system. It has a sobering effect on
the mind and can cause people to be more contemplative, which
is the opposite reaction as red."

"Blue surroundings, if not too dark, increase productivity.
Studies show that students score higher, weightlifters lift
heavier weights in blue rooms. People retain more when reading
information written in blue text."

(reference: http://tinyurl.com/4zscu)

Now, that last point is contrary to the study you mentioned,
and I agree with it.

>>I find the blue headings actualy more pleasurable to read.
>>I'd wish for the blue if you don't have a strong opinion.
>>I really like the W3C style blue headings. I agreed on the
>>grey tables with hesitation. Now everything is turning back
>>to monochommatic grey again. Gimme back my blues... I love
>>the blues....
>

> Me too, in music.
>
> The blue text isn't horrible, but cold colors tend to recede into the
> background. I think that's the opposite of what you want from a
> section header.

Not for me, and I am sure for many others. The text is already in
black and a different color for the headings make them stand out
pretty well, but not too much, as in the case where you have it
in red or orange.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman