From: Dylan Trotter (trotterdylan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-01 10:33:27

> 6) Presidential filter example
> While many of us see the humor in this, there was at least one objection to
> introducing 'political comedy' into boost. Overall, the example should be
> renamed and reformulated since in a few years no one will get the joke
> anyway. Sorry to go politically correct here, but boost needs to be
> above the fray.

I've never felt the urge to post the development mailing list despite
being a long time reader, however this was enough to bring me out of
anonymity. Chalk it up to my flammable sense of political incorrectness.

When I was reading documentation for the iostreams library I was
pleasantly surprised to find an example that was both as informative and
hilarious as the Presidential Filter example. I've had my eyes glaze
over too many times while reading example code to think that it's a bad
thing to get a little humour out of them once in a while.

So while there may have been at least one complaint, let me be (perhaps
one of) the first to praise the Presidential Filter example as a good
joke and as a good example. I know praise doesn't count as much as
complaining in the world these days. Unfortunately this means that good
things are often thrown away in our zeal to make the complainers shut up
and thus I'm sure the Presidential Filter example will never again show
up in Boost.

Thanks,

Dylan Trotter