From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-01 11:49:59

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 11:33:27 -0400, Dylan Trotter wrote
> When I was reading documentation for the iostreams library I was
> pleasantly surprised to find an example that was both as informative
> and hilarious as the Presidential Filter example. I've had my eyes
> glaze over too many times while reading example code to think that
> it's a bad thing to get a little humour out of them once in a while.

I don't have a personal objection to the humor either -- it's just, what if
some mother or father of a US/British/Italian, etc soldier read it and was
offended? Far fetched? Probably, but the fact that one reviewer objected
points out the danger. Boost is about C++ libraries and anything that is part
of boost needs to stay out of politics or anything else that might distract
from that.

Quite aside from the politics, I found the title disorienting -- so I think
renaming and refactoring the example can actually improve it. Duller,
probably -- more to the point -- for sure. Lastly, in 10 years will anyone
get the joke?

I've discussed this with Jonathon and I think he has some good ideas for
improving it.

> So while there may have been at least one complaint, let me be
> (perhaps one of) the first to praise the Presidential Filter example
> as a good joke and as a good example. I know praise doesn't count as
> much as complaining in the world these days. Unfortunately this
> means that good things are often thrown away in our zeal to make the
> complainers shut up and thus I'm sure the Presidential Filter
> example will never again show up in Boost.

Actually, I don't share your view. Yes, critical review and debate are a big
part of the process hre, but I think praise is highly appreciated as well.
Boost authors and others here contribute and incredible amount of time energy
and talent to the cause of improving C++ for everyone -- we all like to hear a
thank you now and again. Note the last line of my email:

> I'd like to thank the reviewers for their time and many thoughtful reviews.
> And finally thanks to Jonathan for an excellent library!

Jeff