From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-02 01:24:29

"Pavel Vozenilek" <pavel_vozenilek_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> "Jeff Garland" wrote:
>
> > 3) zip/bzip2 library components
> >
> > The library source currently contains headers for zlib and bzip2. These
> > headers should be removed from the source tree since they will
> complicate
> > boost licensing. They should be replaced with instructions on how to
> > obtain these libraries and how to configure bjam to find the headers and
> > libraries. Since these libraries are already widely distributed they
> are
> > often already installed on a platform.
> >
> ... and lzo as well, please.

I wrote an LZO wrapper but didn't include it because of licensing concerns. If I
am assured that I can write a wrapper intended to be used with GPL'd software
without the wrapper being covered by the GPL, I'll defintely include it.

It would be nice to include filters that can read and write Markus Oberhumer's
lzop file format, but it does not appear to be documented and he never responded
to an email I sent him. I assume there's a header specifying compression options
and some metadata and a trailer containing data length and a checksum, but it's
difficult to decipher the source code.

I'm definitely expecting more compression methods to be added in the future. I
also hope that other people will write some of them ;-)

Jonathan