From: Pavel Vozenilek (pavel_vozenilek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-02 02:13:55

"Jonathan Turkanis" wrote:

> > ... and lzo as well, please.
>
> I wrote an LZO wrapper but didn't include it because of licensing
concerns. If I
> am assured that I can write a wrapper intended to be used with GPL'd
software
> without the wrapper being covered by the GPL, I'll defintely include it.

It would be most unfortunate technical progress
being hindered by such approach.

> It would be nice to include filters that can read and write Markus
Oberhumer's
> lzop file format, but it does not appear to be documented and he never
responded
> to an email I sent him. I assume there's a header specifying compression
options
> and some metadata and a trailer containing data length and a checksum, but
it's
> difficult to decipher the source code.

LZO is absolutely undocumented and its code is one big mess
(but works).

AFAIK Markus Oberhumer can't be reached
for long time by anybody.

> I'm definitely expecting more compression methods to be added in the
future. I
> also hope that other people will write some of them ;-)

I guess this will happen. There are few very promissing
compression technologies (say LZMA) around and
lot of good implementations of proven ones.

This also lead me to question: is there example of any
encryption/decryption filter in Iostreams?
There are quite many of them in C++, each using their
own conventions and it may happen someone will
normalize them to be useable within Iostreams.

/Pavel