From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-04 02:00:57

Hi Jurko,

>> Maybe, we can just decide that all reasonable compilers support NRVO, and
>> stop worring about returning vectors/list by value?
>
> Hmmm... I do not think VC7.1 supports NRVO (it does support unnamed
> RVO though). Do you consider it a 'reasonable compiler'?

Apparently, I'd have to decide it's not 100% reasonable ;-)

> Or should we
> say that it does not matter if that compiler generated slower code?

Probably. The interface which returns vector<> is nicer, and we should not
kill a good interface because of a specific compiler. Besides, in this
case, both vector<> returning function and an iterator interface are
reasonable, so if you're on VC7.1 and care about globbing performance, you
can use the iterators interface.

- Volodya