From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-04 03:22:11

Brian Riis wrote:
> Reece Dunn wrote:
>
>> Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
>>
>>> "Stefan Slapeta" <stefan_nospam__at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Last time I used Mozilla for reading newsgroups (over a year ago)
>>> if found that it would frequently report a particular numbers of
>>> messages as unread (the number would appear in parantheses after
>>> the newsgroup name) but no messages in my inbox would by marked as
>>> unread. I could never tell whether the reported number of unread
>>> messages was an error, or if there really were some unread messages
>>> getting lost. So I switched to Outlook.
>>>
>>> Does Thunderbird use the same code as the Mozilla browser's news
>>> and email client? If so, do you know if this problem has been
>>> fixed?
>>
>> I am not sure about the code base it uses, but it appears to report
>> the correct number of messages in the Inbox (and the subfolders I
>> have created for the various Boost threads, using the Filters feature
>> which rocks!) So maybe they have fixed the problem you experienced
>> :).
>
> Unfortunately, no. I've experienced the exact same problem with
> ThunderBird 0.8. In the end, the only resolution was to resubscribe to
> the newsgroup. Don't know how the problem started, but apparently it's
> not a new thing.

You can fix this by editing the news rc file in the thunderbird folder. It
contains lines like for example:

gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel: 1-111178,111273,111274,111276,111279,111291,111357

Just canchge this to

gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel: 1-111357

and it behaves normally again. By doing so, you of course also mark all
messages as read, but its better than resubscribing if you have a big local
archive. The fix also works for Mozilla.

HTH, Markus